The Board of Works and Safety for the City of Attica met, pursuant to Public Notice, on Tuesday, June 1st, 2021, at 5:00 P.M. in the City Council Room.
Present was Board Member, Chris Gayler, Mayor Duane Roderick, Attorney Mallory Redlin and Clerk-Treasurer Joanne Broadwater.
Minutes from the previous meeting:
Gayler made a motion to approve the minutes from the May 18th, 2021, meeting, Roderick seconded, all were in favor, and the motion passed.
Department Head Reports:
Director of Public Works, Eric Swank had nothing to report.
Attica Fire Chief, Mike Little, stated the department is on a record pace of runs this year.
Police Chief, Matt Powell, reported the department is coming together as a team, Chief is pleased by the transition. He reported the department has made a couple drug arrests and Officer Miller and Cheever captured the felon from LA the day before.
Building Commissioner, Jeff Pycke, stated he received a report of a fence being built without a permit. He stated he would investigate it.
The regular meeting was suspended to hold unsafe building order hearings.
- 804 S. Brady – Review hearing – Pycke reported he has not noticed any progress. The owners reported the trash has been cleaned up, and fanfold had been put on the back of the house, they cut down brush. The owners stated they are waiting on siding to come. Redlin asked when they expect to be completed. The homeowner stated the end of the summer. Roderick suggested another review hearing be scheduled for the first Board of Works meeting in August.
- 907 E. Summit – Review hearing – Pycke reported tear down is progressing very slowly, only parts of the roof has been torn off, but nothing further has been done. Roderick suggested a review hearing be scheduled for the first July meeting.
- 204 W. Pike St. – Review hearing – Pycke reported no progress on this property, Redlin reported ownership has not changed to John Smith yet. Redlin suggested to review this property at the first meeting in July.
- 206 W. Pike – Review hearing – Pike reported no progress on this property, but someone is living in the property. Review of this property will be in July as well.
- 424 E. Main St. – UBO initial hearing – owner was not present. Pike reported the UBO was completed, the problem areas are the roof, foundation not stable, exterior basement door needs installed, plus other issues. See attached exhibits. Gayler made a motion to admit all exhibits for the record, Roderick seconded, exhibits admitted. Gayler made a motion declare this property an unsafe building, Roderick seconded, all were in favor, motion passed. Redlin set a review hearing for this property at the first meeting in July.
- 404 S. Perry St. – Review hearing – owners not present. Chris VanDeWater, the next-door neighbor spoke regarding this property, he stated the property has been vacant over a year, the yard is not being mowed by the owners. There are stacks of ruble and trash in both the front and back yards, the property is an eyesore. Roderick stated we need to assess a fine to the property owners, clean the property then charge the cost for the cleanup in addition to the fine. Swank stated a certified letter has been sent to the owners regarding the trash and debris on the property. Dana Diven the neighbor behind this property stated there are rodents coming and going from the property. Diven stated due to all the junk in the yard the last time the city mowed something hit his boat. Diven believes the property is a hazard and eyesore. Gayler made a motion to assess a fine of $500.00 then have the city clean the property and add the cost of cleaning to the fine, Roderick seconded, all were in favor, motion passed. Roderick stated we will review this property at the first meeting in August.
The regular meeting was resumed.
Economic Development Director, Rod Bannon, was not present.
Unfinished Business: None
Gayler made a motion to approve the utility credits, Roderick seconded, all were in favor, motion passed.
Gayler made a motion to approve disconnects, Roderick seconded, motion passed.
The claims were presented by Mayor Roderick, Gayler made a motion to approve claims, Roderick seconded. All were in favor and the motion passed.
There being no further business, Gayler made a motion to adjourn, Roderick seconded, the meeting was adjourned. The next Board of Works meeting will be held on Tuesday June 15th, 2021, at 5:00pm, in person, in the City Council meeting room.